James Tufts beautiful bowl 5 inch wide 2 high

Hi we found a ton of silver in our old house 1803, saved by my mother in law.This house has been in our family for all these years so maybe these have been on boxes fpr a while, We love the dark silver, here is 3 different beautiful , Are these really all mush $?

Hi there filmnet and thanks for joining us. James W. Tufts registered the first of his four trademarks in 1875 and incorporated his business in 1881. The company made a wide range of silver plated goods and was out of business by about 1915. The term “quadruple plate” refers to the maker’s claim that the item has four thin layers of silver electroplated over a base metal, in many cases copper.

Small mass produced American silver plated items as you show are of little commercial value. The “dark” on your item is tarnish, and a gentle polishing with any mild silver polish will have it sparkling again!

Regards,

Uncle Vic

we might leave this alone , we like the color, is this worth much? i can not see anymore of his work on website.

Most of us consider antique silver to be art, and art is what you like. There is no harm in leaving it unpolished. I’m afraid it is only worth a few dollars. If you would like to further research the value, take a look on Ebay at the “completed auctions” and search for Tufts silver items.

Regards,

Uncle Vic