Maker mark i canot identify

Hi Guys , first time here.
I have an Albert chain with lion assay marks on every link , the central chain link very slightly larger has initials R.A&Co. The lozenge the letters sit in i believe would have been a rectangle but due to it having to follow the chain ling circle it is somewhat elongated.

Help greatly appreciated

From the shape of the lion passant punch I think that this is probably a Birmingham mark. Unfortunately published Birmingham marks are a bit sparse and this one is not recorded.

However many Birmingham-registered marks were also registered at Chester (as Chester gave a much quicker turn-around than the overworked Birmingham assay office). Chester marks are comprehensively recorded and there is a very similar mark in my Chester reference registered to Rosenthal, Aronson & Co of Fore Street, London and Melbourne, Australia. They described themselves as “Australian merchants” and would probably have commissioned silver wares from Birmingham silversmiths and had their own mark stamped on the pieces as “sponsors”.

You aren’t by any chance in Australia yourself are you? If so that would pretty much confirm the identification.

Phil

Hi Phil , thanks for such a detailed reply , this has really helped. Im in New Zealand so Australia thing fits well , both Albert clips are marked S S which by the lozenge shape they are in determines Samual Smith who i believe had work come out of Chester,London & Birmingham. So what you have described appears to be a very good fit.
cheers
Errol