Need Help Identifying Maker of Silver Set I inherited

I recently inherited a lovely silver set that was my greatgreat grandmother’s.
It was made by Porter Plating Co., Taunton, Mass and it has the number “8” in the center of the bottom and the number 755 under the eight.
The set has a grapevine motif with grape fineals on top of the tea/coffee pots.
I cannot find a “Porter Plating Co” anywhere in my research.
[/b]

Hi there Caroline and thanks for joining us. Your set was made by the Porter Britannia & Plate Co. of Taunton, Mass. The company was founded in 1859 and E.W. Porter, of Reed & Barton, became manager of the firm. Its products were similar to those of Reed & Barton and the company was in business until at least the 1870s.

The numbers are probably the size - 8 - and the pattern number - 755.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thank you so much for responding to my question.
Would you recommend that I have it appraised for insurance purposes?
Would it be silver or another metal?
Caroline

Caroline - it would almost certainly be silver plated; if it were solid (sterling) silver it would be marked as such, and as far as I know that company did not make sterling goods. Therefore, the set is of only limited commercial value, perhaps a few hundred dollars at best, but by all means have someone take a look at it in case there is a mark we are missing.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thanks Uncle Vic!
I do know that my sister had this set “re-silvered” about fifteen years ago. She assumed it was sterling also. After my sister passed away I inherited the set. It has been in the hands of my niece for the past five years and has now turned black! I will get it shined back up and take it to have it appraised. I’m a bit disappointed that it isn’t sterling, however, it is a family heirloom, and therefore priceless to us.
Again, thank you for responding.
Caroline