Old Hallmark Help

Can anyone please help me identify these hallmarks on a silver scallop dish I found.

1 Like

I don’t recognise these marks but there is a pretty good chance that your dish is electroplated and not silver. These marks, leopard’s head erased, crowned leopard’s head and lion passant, are all marks which you might expect to be on English silver, but never all together and never looking fresh and crisp as if punched in the last few years. Somebody is cashing in on the prestige of these marks to give their product an air of legitimacy. If it was actually silver it would surely have some simple way of showing it such as a numerical fineness value or a national hallmark.

Phil

Thank you for your response, there is actually another mark off to the left I failed to add please see photo

1 Like

hiya, iv just joined here, looking to share knowledge and seek help on silver i have. your mark is actually Britannia grade Brittish silver which is higher purity than Sterling so quite valuable and not plated.

The OP’s first picture shows a pseudo-mark; i.e. it is not a genuine English hallmark and might even be uncharitably called fake. In particular note the combination of the leopard’s head erased and the lion passant which on a genuine English piece would never be seen together as the first is the standard mark for Britannia silver (958) and the second is the standard mark for sterling silver (925).

Phil