PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY POCKET WATCH

:smiley: HI ALL JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN TELL US ANYTHING ON THIS SILVER POCKET WATCH. MY OTHER HALFS GRAND FATHER GAVE HIM IT WHEN HE WAS A CHILD AND TO HIS KNOWLEDGE IT WAS GIVEN TO HIS GRANDFATHER BY HIS FATHER. IT IS STILL IN WORKING ORDER :open_mouth:
IT HAS W+H IN A BOX
LION WITH RAISED PAW (which we believe is english hallmark)
LOOKS LIKE A SHIELD WITH A CAPITAL G IN IT
LEOPARDS HEAD IN SHIELD WITHOUT THE CROWN

AND THE SECOND HAND IS SITUATED IN THE BOTTOM PART OF WATCH FACE.

THANKING YOU
LOOK FORWARD TO READING ANY REPLYS
LAINEY :wink:
picresized_th_1210987419_P1200021_edited.jpg

Without a picture of the hallmarks it is difficult to be certain. However I can hazard a guess that the watch was assayed in London in the assay year 1882/83. The following picture is an example of that yearโ€™s hallmark

As for the maker of the case, do you mean โ€œWHโ€ or โ€œW&Hโ€?

Finally, please do not use upper case - it makes your text more difficult to read and is considered to be shouting.

thank you for your reply.
firstly i will appologize for shouting as you put it. it certainly wasnt meant to appear that way.

yes the hallmarks are the same as the one you have shown appart from the last mark as there is not one also after doing a little research myself i found out that it was William Hammon who was the case maker of Coventry. The inside detail is beautiful and also seems to have a number which is printed on the mechanism 60637,

once again thank you very much for replying

lainey

I have a similiar watch I think, I have the same lion and shield mark, but my letter date is a lower case k, very elaborately done, I think it is around the 1860โ€™s. Mine also has an A in the center of the triangle of marks and EW on the bottom.

It has an inscription dated 1884, but I do think it was made 20 years or so before that. Is there anyway to find out the worth of watches like this? I bought this one for $25 at a gun sale about 18 years ago.

Thanks!

I have a similiar watch I think, I have the same lion and shield mark, but my letter date is a lower case k, very elaborately done, I think it is around the 1860โ€™s. Mine also has an A in the center of the triangle of marks and EW on the bottom.

It has an inscription dated 1884, but I do think it was made 20 years or so before that. Is there anyway to find out the worth of watches like this? I bought this one for $25 at a gun sale about 18 years ago.

Thanks!