Polish Cloths

Hi, Can you tell me your views on these impregnated silver polish and tarnish agent cloths? Are they ok to use or best avoided? Any info would be great. Thanks, Anita :smiley:

I use one of the impregnated cloths to give a quick buff to lightly tarnished silver to make it more presentable. I’ve not had any problems, but it’s not as good as a proper polish.

Thanks, thats kinda what I thought, and how I use one too! Regards, Anita :smiley:

Be very careful if you intend on using a rouge cloth - they can get very dirty and end up scratching your silver! You may want to try this technique first:

Tarnish is easily removed when first noticed (usually as a yellowish tint), and will become increasingly difficult to deal with as it turns to light brown and eventually black. Occasionally washing an object with a non-lemon-scented phosphate-free detergent is preferred to waiting until tarnish forms and gets so stubborn that polishes have to be employed. (All polishes have some degree of abrasion.) If you start to see very light tarnish that can sometimes only be detected when the object is viewed against a piece of glossy white paper, Windex with vinegar or a liquid, non-abrasive, unscented, aloe-free hand sanitizer, such as Purell, may remove the tarnish. Use a large cotton ball and rotate it regularly to expose unused surfaces, as elements in the tarnish itself can be very abrasive; then dry the piece with a Selvyt cloth or cotton dish towel. Try this technique first, as it is the least abrasive of all silver cleaning methods.

• The sterling waste above is an example of what Windex can accomplish in removing light tarnish. Obviously, to remove the more stubborn tarnish you would use one of my recommended silver polishes.
1 Like