Rogers Cheese Dish

Hi!
I am new at this and I was wondering if someone could help answer my question!! I purchased a silver cheese dish with lid at an auction. After a little research I have learned that my dish that has an anchor then Rogers then another anchor merged in 1898 to become known as the international Silver Co… Does this mean that the piece that I have is older that 1898 since it has the old marking on it? I will try to post pictures tomorrow…I’m not good at this stuff but I figured that I would try it out. Thanks so much for any help that I can get!!

Hi there Tootsie and thanks for joining us. You are correct that the mark with the anchors on both ends flanking “Rogers” was used by the William Rogers Mfg. Co. which ultimately was one of the original companies that merged to form International in 1898. Many of those companies’ trademarks were continued in use after the formation of International, so using the merger date as a “cut-off” date to age your dish is probably not accurate. As I’m sure you have discovered, there were a multitude of “Rogers” silver companies over the years and sorting them out is often a mind-numbing game.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Hi Uncle Vic!

Thanks for the response on my question. Can you give me any suggestions on how to find out just how old my piece is?

The dish probably has a model or pattern number on the bottom near the maker’s mark and you might try crossing that to what’s listed on www.replacements.com, but due to the huge number of International/Rogers patterns and models, this is a needle-in-a-haystack undertaking. A clear close-up photo of the marks and of the entire dish may help us date it for you, but very little American silver, and even less silver plate, was dated.

Regards,

Uncle Vic