Scandinavian silver teaspoons?

Hi, I recently purchased this set of six teaspoons which I believe are Scandinavian in origin, probably Swedish. The hallmark shows three crowns with a town letter which I think is “S” and either a “1” or “I” and a “3” which could signify the Swedish dating for 1815. the spoons are quite sharp in design and have an engineered quality about them including a Celtic point handle. Any thoughts, observations and opinions are most welcome.

Kind regards,

Gerry

I’ve attached some pictures

I have discovered since posting this topic that this mark can be credited to a firm founded by Werner Sittmann (1780-1831) in Köln (Cologne). The firm existed well into the 1860’s; this mark was in use at least as early as 1841.

The mark is an “S” (for Sittmann), flanked by “13” (for the fineness of 13 Lot (ie: .812 purity), below three crowns (taken from the Cologne arms).

Regards

Gerry
spoon.jpg

Hi Gerry, I hope this finds you well. I recently acquired a wine bottle holder with this mark but couldn’t find anything online or in my books on it. I wondered where you found the reference to Werner Sittman? Any book or website recommendations would be amazing. Curious if you know anything more about the firm otherwise. Best, Jon

This may have been the source of the identification.

Phil

1 Like

Thanks Phil! Very kind. Also a lead on an old expensive book if I do want to dive deeper :sweat_smile:

Appreciate your time and help