Silver or Silver plate?

Hi

I am new to the forum. I’m not a collector I just have a few bits and pieces accumulated over the years. Such as this Mappin and Webb fork which is one of twelve. I think it is plate but I am not sure. I would also like to know if possible the style of fork, or indeed anything at all about it.

Thanks.

silverthreadsamongthegold
DSCN2141a.jpg
DSCN2143a.jpg
DSCN2146a.jpg

This is definitely plate - lack of hallmarks and “A1” are the clues. The pattern seems to be a variant on the standard Albany pattern. The registration number dates the design to 1885 and S&L means “Sheffield and London”. The single letter to the right of “Mappin & Webb” is a date code, but, as far as I am aware, they are undocumented.

Thanks very much for the info. My Mother-in-law persuaded me to stump up some cash for these forks some years ago on behalf of an elderly Aunt of hers who was hard-up. At the time I thought - or was led to believe -they were silver. I doubt I will get my money back if I sell them. Do they have any value? and if so should I clean them to sell them? I think that my Mother-in-law has the matching knives and some sort of spoons.

Thanks.

Regrettably they have very little value, but should certainly be polished.

Oh well, never mind! I think I gave her £70 for her Aunt, about 15 years ago.

Thanks very much for the info. I shall polish them and scrounge the knives etc. from the M-i-l and we’ll use them for entertaining the Vicar etc.

Thanks.