Silver overlaid jug - with resized photos (apologies)

I recently bough this beautiful Art Nouveau silver overlaid glass pitcher / jug. It has a very small hard to see crack. But I bought it because I thought it looked stunning. I have been doing some research into the piece and noticed the mark 999 FINE J00

I have discovered that the “999/1000” means the metal used is PURE SILVER. As far as I know ( and I admit to a very limited knowledge) British silversmiths didn’t use silver of this quality.

Beside the word “FINE” or could it be “EINE” there is what looks like J 00, but it looks more like a scratch than an intentional makers mark. Anybody help with this one, even if you could point me in the “right direction” it would be a big help.

I Though it might be Danish, Swedish, ??? but i’m not sure.

The photo’s i previously posted were rejected due to size, i’ve now sussed how to resize !!

Grant Craigen,
Silver overlay.JPG
hallmark.JPG

1 Like

Probably American. The fraction in 1,000ths with the all caps “FINE” following was fairly common in late 19th century American silver. The 999 is somewhat unusual but is seen some, especially where the strength of the silver it not an issue, like an overlay.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thanks for taking time to reply Uncle Vic, much appreciated. Do you think the marks to the right are just damage and not a deliberate makers mark. “J00” ???

Also, could you suggest any good sites for this type of American overlay work ?

Thank you for your help

Grant,

Perth
SCOTLAND

Grant - the numbers appear to be “scratced” vs. stamped, although they would be in the approximate place a pattern mumber might be located. Becasue we see no maker’s mark I’m just guessing its American. I have seen Mexican and South American silver marked 999 - particularly from Peru - and am not aware of any references specific to overlay work, but a quick google search might turn up something.

Several American makers used the fraction “925/1000 FINE” with and without the word “sterling” to denote sterling silver content, so one should always be careful to examine the marks, especially when they are worn or slightly off-punched to determine if they are “925” vs. say “999” or “935”. Yours appear clearly to be “999”.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thanks for your time Uncle Vic. Most of the pieces i come across in the UK tend to come from the Czechs, Italians, Austrians and some English work, (although not much). It was when you mentioned that it may have American origins that i started to look at the styles of glass “pitcher” made in America in late 1890’s and the one i have fits with these styles.

You have certainly given me more options to explore, for that i thank you.

Great site by the way, congratulations to all concerned.

Grant.
Perth, Scotland, UK