We just had a wall removed and found an old silver spoon buried in it (it was an old rubble filled wall dating back to approx 1860-70)
I’d really like to find out how old the spoon is but am having real trouble with the hallmarks. I am posting a photo, but the marks are quite worn and all the pictures I have taken so far aren’t great.
It looks like There are 5 marks in a line as follows:
- an oval with the initials K/E R (the K/E is not clear)
- a circle with an ampersand in it
- a square (with rounded corners) with an ‘s’ in it (there is a line that runs through the s top right to bottom left)
- a shield (shaped like a Blue Peter badge) with what looks like a crown in it
- a similar mark to (1) but on its side.
I know this is probably a terrible description but I really dont have any idea where to start. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Also, the spoon was badly rusted/tarnished. I have given it a gentle clean but am not sure how best to look after it now.
Thanks for your time