Please visit our other websites: Ganoksin Jewelry Making Resource | Orchid Jewelry Making Forums | International Gem Society | IGS Gemstone and Gemology Forums

Silver Collector Forums

Silver Thimble

Pretty sure its silver at least but not much else i’m afraid.

Just don’t know really how to date it.

The E.F ? I’m thinking thats just an initials engraving ? or am i wrong , this the maker.

The ‘’ .S " I tried searching for that but couldnt find anything about that , was there another letter before the .S? rubbed away maybe.

The " 12 " is it a 12 , is it just the size?

Any help would be gratefully received , many thanks.

Graeme
thimble3.jpg
thimble2.jpg
thimble1.jpg

Yes it’s sterling silver, assayed in Birmingham (anchor) in 1898 (letter y). The S is part of the maker’s mark and I would guess that it’s probably J.S for James Swann, a well-known maker of thimbles. 12 is the size (although I didn’t think 12 was a valid size) and E·F are most probably the owner’s initials.

Thats great thank you very much for that.

Yes looks like a 12 to me anyway , wonder if other people have come across this size , perhaps its rare?

that little peice of silver is worth more than its scrap value! Surprisingly people pay alot for silver thimbles, i dont see the fascination. Theyre well made and decorated but id rather have a huge jug of some sort. I would like this on though as i want a nice victorian peice of silver. Excuse my long winded rant :smiley: