Some help required with hallmarks

I was hoping someone could identify the hall marks on this fish slice
fish slce hall mark.jpg
fish slce.jpg

I also have this mustard pot which I think is made by Elkington & Co, Birmingham 1966, could anyone confirm this please. Any help appreciated!
mustard pot hall mark.jpg
mustard pot.jpg

Hi Richard, thanks for joining us on silver-collector.com.

You are completely right about the Elkington mark, it is for Birmingham in 1966, although the item itself is actually a salt cellar not a mustard pot. (more info about salt cellars and mustard pots)
The fish slice, (is it a fish slice? it looks more like a butter knife to me), is however not silver, but silver plate. The marks are old plate marks of James Deakin of Sheffield, who’s mark was in use from 1855-1891.

Hope this helps a bit,
All the best
Daniel Franks

Daniel, thank you for your help and for the salt cellar link. My salt cellar, looks to be in a Georgian style, I quite like it. Could you help with the maker of some spoons I’ve got. I am unsure if this is silver or not.
spoons hall mark.jpg

Hi Richard,
Your spoons are deinitely silver, the lion passant mark shows that they have been assayed, and have tested at 92.5% pure silver (sterling silver).

The makers mark however is proving more difficult to track down. It is very similar to the mark of William Playfair and William Wilson, but their mark was WP over WW, rather than WW over WP. They are however registered as spoon makers, so I think its likely that they made your spoons. Their mark was first entered in 1782, and I imagine that at some point they reversed their initials. Your spoons must be made after 1784 as the duty mark is stamped on them.

I hope this helps again,
Best regards
Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for opinion on the spoons, Can you or anyone else identify the monarch in the duty mark? I find it hard to distinguish between, it looks like possible George III or IV and facing the wrong way for Victoria. Which is odd as I believe the spoons were a wedding present to my Great Grandmother’s wedding which would have been around 1910. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi again Richard,
The monarchs head is that of George III. The shape of the shield that his head is in tells us this, as that shape was only used to show increases in duty (see 'The absence of a town mark? string in reading silver hallmarks). This happened in 1797, 1804, and 1815, all during George III’s reign. It looks to me like the 1797 mark.

Hope that helps
Best regards
Daniel