Sterling Silver From China: Too Cheap To Be True?

OK, so I have bought a few ‘Sterling 925’ silver items of jewellery from China Thought it might be worth putting some precious metal away for a rainy day.

Thing is, it seems too cheap to be true. Looking at scrap silver prices, it’s about 30p a gram for 925 silver, yet the items I have had cost less, much less, than this. My better half knows about silver, and is 100% sure that it is the real thing. I, however, am sceptical, in that I probably won’t be satisfied until someone has paid me cold hard cash for some of what I have bought.

There are no hallmarks on the items, just a ‘925’ mark. Is it the case that no scrap silver dealer would be interested due to there being no hallmark? I guess I’d find out if I sent some off for scrap value, or maybe took it to Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter, which is probably what I’ll have to do.

When something sounds too good to be true it’s best to proceed with caution, but if there is a genuine opportunity there for a cheap investment, I’d like to take it. Difficult to lose out, in a way, as the jewellery is certainly worth the money as jewellery, saleable as scrap or not.

I’ll send an item to someone for looking at if they need me to, but I will try later to attach a photo which is representative of what I have bought.

Many thanks.[url]OK, so I have bought a few ‘Sterling 925’ silver items of jewellery from China Thought it might be worth putting some precious metal away for a rainy day.

Thing is, it seems too cheap to be true. Looking at scrap silver prices, it’s about 30p a gram for 925 silver, yet the items I have had cost less, much less, than this. My better half knows about silver, and is 100% sure that it is the real thing. I, howver, am sceptical, in that I probably won’t be satisfied until someone has paid me cold hard cash for some of what I have bought.

There are no hallmarks on the items, just a ‘925’ mark. Is it the case that no scrap silver dealer would be interested due to there being no hallmark? I guess I’d find out if I sent some off for scrap value, or maybe took it to Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter, which is probably what I’ll have to do.

When something sounds too good to be true it’s best to proceed with caution, but if there is a genuine opportunity there for a cheap investment, I’d like to take it. Difficult to lose out, in a way, as the jewellery is certainly worth the money as jewellery, saleable as scrap or not.

I’ll send an item to someone for looking at if they need me to, but I will try later to attach a photo which is representative of what I have bought.

Many thanks.
[/url]OK, so I have bought a few ‘Sterling 925’ silver items of jewellery from China Thought it might be worth putting some precious metal away for a rainy day.

Thing is, it seems too cheap to be true. Looking at scrap silver prices, it’s about 30p a gram for 925 silver, yet the items I have had cost less, much less, than this. My better half knows about silver, and is 100% sure that it is the real thing. I, howver, am sceptical, in that I probably won’t be satisfied until someone has paid me cold hard cash for some of what I have bought.

Many thanks.
2MMchain_jpg_450 Cropped Image.jpg

just because a full set of hallmarks are not present, it doesnt mean they are not able to be sold for scrap. Smaller mass produced jewellery is often stamped ‘925’. However do be careful, china export alot of things that appear to be what they say they are, only to turn out to be fake. Take them to a local jewellers to be tested, it wont take long.