Sugar tongs - cannot find the city mark

Hi all,
There is no city mark on this object so I’m unable to date it. Any help? Happy Easter to all!

The shape of the lion passant punch defines this as a London mark. However the date letter o/O could be either upper or lower case so 1789 or 1809. The second letter of the maker’s mark is damaged so I can’t be sure whether it’s TB, TE or something else.

Phil

1 Like

Hello all,
Hope you don’t mind me adding my thoughts on the date letter o/O,
after studying the pictures on Phils great website I personally think the date of the letter o/O looks like
1789 because the inner part of the o/O looks more oval and the 1809 o/O looks more rounded on the inside.
Happy Easter to all.
Ronnie.

1 Like

To me it looks like the second letter in the sponsor mark is H and the assay marks are for 1789.

“TH” in Roman capitals with no pointelle in the middle in a rectangle creates a problem.

A years too early for Thomas Harper I the great Masonic Lodge member silversmith who registered his mark May 27th 1790 in Fleet St. which happens to be the month when the Assay year began. He had arrived in London in 1783.

Here’s another pair of tongs the tong expert attributes to Thomas Harper I Take a look at the tong style, the mark and the comments and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.silversugartongs.com/london/TH%20-%20Thomas%20Harper%20I/Thomas%20Harper.htm

Christopher Wilson
Guildhall Antiques
Toronto and Grand Cayman

1 Like