Tiffany box

Hi,
Could you please give me a value for my Tiffany & Co. sterling box? It weighs approximately 27.64 troy ounces. Thanks! Jack.
100_0954.jpg

Hi Jack and thanks for joining us. A description or close up photo of the inscription as well as the mark would be helpful in reaching an estimate of value.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

My sincere apologies!–I was trying to get several pics to load, but only managed one…and that came out very small! The box (unfortunately) is a presentation piece. It has an engraved Blocade Runner ship and "Blocade Runner Motor Hotel Wrightsville Beach, N.C. Launched by Bill McClung William A McClung with appreciation from Lawrence Lewis, Jr. President East Coast Motel Co., Inc. "
I will try and post more pictures as soon as I can get them sized to load. Thanks for your patience! Jack
100_0957.jpg

Hi Jack - the inscription is for the “Blockade Runner Motor Hotel” which is a beachfront hotel in N.C. and probably dates to the late 1960s or 70s. The inscription does detract from its value. I’m usually of the view that well done fancy engraving adds to the artwork value of antique silver, but in this case I’d make an exception due to the plain-ness of the engraving and the rather mundane subject matter… I did a quick search on eBay and similar modern Tiffany boxes seem to be selling for about the price of silver. I’d estimate the value in the $500 range.

If you are planning to sell it, you might try contacting the hotel and inquire if they have any interest, as it would make a nice lobby display case item.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

[quote=“uncle vic”]
Hi Jack - the inscription is for the “Blockade Runner Motor Hotel” which is a beachfront hotel in N.C. and probably dates to the late 1960s or 70s. The inscription does detract from its value. I’m usually of the view that well done fancy engraving adds to the artwork value of antique silver, but in this case I’d make an exception due to the plain-ness of the engraving and the rather mundane subject matter… I did a quick search on eBay and similar modern Tiffany boxes seem to be selling for about the price of silver. I’d estimate the value in the $500 range.

If you are planning to sell it, you might try contacting the hotel and inquire if they have any interest, as it would make a nice lobby display case item.

Regards,

Uncle Vic[/quote

Thanks Uncle Vic, for this valuable information. I did in fact contact the owners of the Blocade Runner Motel several weeks ago, telling them this would make a great display for their lobby or other area for all visitors to see. They DID express an interest, but their offer was a flat $300 and not a penny more. I declined their offer, although I still believe that’s the proper place for this piece to reside. I feel certain an establishment of that caliber could spring for more money, but they chose not to do so.