UNKNOWN MAKER & DATE SHIELD ON SCOTTISH SILVER SHOE BUCK

Hi,

I purchased these buckles at an auction and they were listed in the catalogue as Scottish silver from the Georgian period. The date shield is a little questionable but I think it fits with 1808-1809, however, when searching the maker Y & T, I came across the below post from this forum which makes that date impossible… Have both I and the auction house misdated?

Posted: 19/03/2012
Post subject: re: Edinburgh Hall mark Reply with quote

According to the web site of the Incorporation of Goldsmiths of the City of Edinburgh Y&T is the mark of Young & Tatton. The partnership of Henry Tatton and his brother-in-law, Walter Young, lasted from 1892 until 1905. at which point the partnership was dissolved and the firm continued in the sole name of Henry Tatton with the mark HT. I can’t explain the 1909 date on your sporran.
IMG_1392-001.JPG

The shape of the date letter punch is from the cycle 1906-1930. The letter C makes it 1908/09. I can’t explain the apparent anomaly in dates, but I note that the Edinburgh Incorporation of Goldsmiths give an “earliest” date for Tatton’s H.T mark as 1911 (I have seen it with a 1909 hallmark). Obviously the transition was a bit fluid.

Thank you very much for your help. I fear I may have overpaid at auction now as they’re one hundred years younger than I was led to believe but such is life.

Many thanks!