Unrecognized letter - British Silver

Hello, I have this perfume bottle but I couldn’t identify the letter on the hallmark. Could someone help me, please? Thanks

The manufacturer is L&S, but I also didn’t find a match for this manufacturer.

Hi, the maker could be Levi & Salaman around 1910-1915.

1 Like

Thanks, as the hallmark has the anchor on its side, I believe the piece is between 1860 and 1899, the period in which the marking was made in this way. Do you have any opinion regarding the letter? Honestly I’m not sure if it’s a B, D or O.

Ya the letter looks like “b” or “D” what would be 1901 or 1928. L & S are Levi & Salaman makers in between those years. That’s why I am a little confused. The years what you mention should have a queens head along the lion and anchor.

1 Like

This date letter is “v” for 1895. As apcmetal points out a sideways anchor was used between 1860 and 1899. Duty on silver was removed on 1 May 1890 so hallmarks from that date on do not have the duty mark.

Phil

1 Like

Thank you very much Phil, I’ve just started using the site and I’ve read some of your answers and they’re always incredible and a lot of help. Congratulations on using some of your time to help others, thank you! And I honestly never thought it would be a V, but now it all makes sense.

At the end the letter is a V, I never imagined that. Thanks a lot for the help.

Brilliant. So we are getting there. I didn’t know that the sideways anchor was used those years. In my resources it was displayed always vertical.Only exception could be on a small objects.
I bought recently a SS pen and the anchor is sideways. They use it that way last few years.
Now we have to find out who is L&S - if it is LS :-)))

1 Like

Levi & Salaman - as previously suggested.

1 Like

I am fiddling around those LS letters yet and one more option has popped up.
L.Spiers, who is mentioned in 1886 Birmingham makers and what is between the letters L and S doesn’t look clearly like “&” as it is not clear on the items hallmark.
What do you think guys?

1 Like

It is definitely Levi & Salaman.

1 Like

Hello, I researched Levi & Salaman here and I think it’s theirs, as you and Phil suggested, because they use the “&”. As for L.Spiers, they use a “.”. Thanks a lot for the help.

Great so! Nice to meet you guys, I just signed up recently and I am looking forward for our next case.
Pavol

1 Like

Thank you very much Phil!

Thank Pavol. I’m glad to know that I want a new case, in fact I have one. I actually bought two perfumers, this one who already discovered it and this other one here.

It is larger and has the English lion, sterling and the number 2594 or 25g4. As it doesn’t have the 3 British hallmark symbols, I was confused. Could you help me, please?

Discussion continued at Unrecognized Hallmark

1 Like