Value of certified Lutz and Weiss frames gifted to Nicolae Ceausescu

Weiss stopped making jewelry in 1971. Albert Weiss founded the company in 1942 in New York

These pieces were gifted by Bundesrepublik Deutschland to Nicolae Ceausescu.

Can someone think of the value of these pieces as I could not identify this specific ones anywhere.
There were some other makes from that period that sold with 10-15k$ at auctions

2 Frames

Hello, this piece is from Lutz & Weiss - from the city of Pforzheim, Germany, made from 1900 onwards. I in your place would not accept less than 50 dollars for each one.

50$, I guess you missed a cpl of zero :smiley:

Just an example, we sold at a auction house simple silver candy bowl for 2500$.
And that had only the sterling silver markins.
Keep in mind these are certified pieces from Ceausescu residence.

You asked for opinions, I just said I wouldn’t accept less than 50 dollars and you yourself gave an example of them being sold for 10 to 15 dollars. The pieces are yours, you ask for whatever price you want, I only gave you a minimum.

This item is Italy, not Germany, for example.

1 Like

I do appreciate it. I`m just trying to do my own research on these and not lose 75% to an auction house

Now I was curious to research who Nicolae Ceaușescu was. It’s interesting that he was a president, but unless he’s going to sell to a Romanian or a fan of communism, this won’t be relevant to the buyer.

yes, there are some communist memorabilia collectors out there and I`m trying to reach them somehow :smiley:

For comparison. here’s a ​Lutz und Weiss silver christening set, probably 1950’s, comprising a napkin ring, a goblet, an egg cup, an hors d’oeuvre cutlery set (fork, knife and spoon) and a coffee or tea spoon, all engraved with the name Sigrid, all fully marked with makers mark, alloy mark for 800/1000, German state marks and some also with a retailers mark. The set in its original presentation shrine.Your frames are .835 otherwise the marks are the same.

Your frame features the Bundesadler or “Federal Eagle”, formerly known as Reichsadler “Imperial Eagle”. It is one of the oldest coats of arms in the world.

I was looking for something engraved on the frames indicating the frames were presented to the Communist dictator. Perhaps you have some collateral provenance?

It would be of greater collector interest if the photos were in it. The fames are fairly standard issue stuff the German government handed out in the 1950’s to anyone their departments thought worthy of a gift.

Ceausescu clobber is rather like Hitler memorabilia, very niche. Personally, and this is just me, I would be ashamed to give anything connected with him or his wife shelf space, but that is is because I have friends who were tortured and killed by the regime.

Similarly I am not screamingly enthusiastic about the Bund government formed out of sanitized Nazis by the occupying forces at the end of the war. But again, that’s me. who lived through it and is hoping we never repeat it.

So with the supporting docs, on a private sale, with proof of receipt, you might get a decent sized cheque from some latter-day emulator. In a public auction with a mere assertion for provenance whatever melt value is. You don’t give a weight of the .835 silver. Hopes this helps a little.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed insight into the historical context surrounding these frames. It’s fascinating to learn about the intricate details of such pieces and their connection to significant periods in history.
I’ll certainly explore further to see if any collateral provenance exists but I thought the state documents and receipt of the auction were enough.

I completely understand and respect your personal sentiments about items connected to regimes like Ceausescu’s. It’s a poignant reminder of the human cost associated with such periods, and I appreciate your candor. The idea of approaching a private sale with supporting documents and proof of receipt makes sense, considering the niche collector interest in such memorabilia.

Your advice regarding public auctions is duly noted, emphasizing the importance of concrete provenance for a more successful outcome. I’ll also ensure to provide an exact weight of the .835 silver when presenting the frames - they weight around 1 kg - except the wooden parts.

I completely understand and respect your personal sentiments about items connected to regimes like Ceausescu’s. It’s a poignant reminder of the human cost associated with such periods, and I appreciate your candor.

My father-in-law acquired the silver frames, along with similar items from various countries, after the fall of the Ceausescu regime in 1989. His family faced persecution under the regime, and he believed that investing in these pieces would yield returns someday.
Indeed, it proved to be a successful venture on some other lots he owned.
It seems to be a matter of finding the right collector.

if you have state documents do they specifically say these frames were given to Ceausescu? If so you have gone a long way to meeting the burden of proof. The auction receipt probably contains an undocumented assertion of gift. You would need to go back to the consignor to get whatever proof he had providing the auction house. If it’s just the state documents then again content is vital. CRWW