Walker & Hall don't use the Sheffield assay

Does anyone know why Walker & Hall don’t use the Sheffield assay logo?

They did, but they also used London, Birmingham and Chester. Please remember that what we lazily call a maker’s mark is more properly a sponsor’s mark. This means that large companies like Walker and Hall with their own retail outlets often used other silversmiths to produce their goods and had their own sponsor’s mark applied by the other manufacturer who may have been based in places other than Sheffield.

Phil

Thanks. So how does one know if it is silver or silver plate?

English silver will always have a hallmark which follows a set pattern which must include a lion passant as a guarantee of sterling silver, a town mark and a sponsor’s mark. If before 2000 it must also include a date letter. There may also be additional marks such as a duty mark between 1820 and 1889 and special commemmorative marks for great occasions.

It sounds as if you suspect you have a piece of electroplate; perhaps it would be a good idea for you to post a picture of your piece and its marks.

Phil

The hallmarks are: W&H SO A1 with a flag
I had this tested abd was told it was silver but now I’m beginning to fear not.

A1 indicates the company’s best quality electroplate. A surface test on electroplate will always be positive for silver. It is necessary to either dig below the surface, thus potentially damaging a genuine silver piece, or submit it for a non-invasive test like X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF).

Thank you. Disappointing as they had been tested as silver. The spoons are very heavy also which made me think they would be silver.