Where are silver earrings marked?

Hello,

Can someone please inform me of where earrings are marked as silver? I have found a pair where the posts are marked. Is this the only place they are marked?

Thanks,

Silverfish

I there and thanks for joining us. My wife and I have just spent considerable time going through some old gold and silver items such are cuff links, ear rings, rings, necklaces, etc. and I can assure you there is no uniform marking “spot” whatsoever. A very strong magnifying device such as a 20x louple (or one of the new fnacy electronic magnifiers) is essential as the marks are often tiny and in obscure places.

We also found that a fair amount of it was not marked at all and we took that to a trusted jeweler who acid tested it for us - a very simple process and quite accurate.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thansk for the reply.

I have to agree with you based on my new hobby of searching. I found a single earring in a small pile I purchased at a local Goodwill that just LOOKED different than the others.

On the bottom part of the post, almost inside the curve, I finally saw ZZ 14K. Even a new loupe I bought could not make it out at first so I scanned the piece and magnified it with Photoshop. Then, and only then, was I able to clearly see what it said.

Silverfish

Good idea. With today’s very high resolution cameras, say in the 12 to 14 meg. range and with very short mcacro zoom focal lengths, it is now possible to take a close up down to say 2 mm then blow it up on the computer and not lose much resolution. A collection of very small dental mirrors is also helpful for examinining interior areas. Your local dentists will probably give you some old onee if you sweet talk them.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Dental mirrors are a good idea. I may ask my dentist when I get my
crown done in a few weeks (though I still do not like dentists!)