where to start?

Greetings-

This piece has been in the family for many years. Is this a cake stand? I have been unsuccessful in photographing the hallmark(s), but here is my best description (sorry!!).

There are three primary symbols: the first is a cursive G (G as in girl) with a small circle over it with 2-3 little lines sprouting out the top. The second is a cursive P, with the vertical line much thicker than the rest of the letter. The last is a dark shield with the letters RI (raised) inside. On top of that is a small pillbox-shape, partially filled in black.

I obviously have no idea if this is an American or other piece. Thanks in advance for the help!

Jessie

It looks like I didn’t get the second photo attached!

Hi there Jessie and thanks for joining us. Your first picture did not show up, try it again and we will need to see a close up of the marks to i.d. the piece. Depending on the size, its either a cake stand or a compote - if its in the range of 10 or 12 inches in diameter its a cake stand, smaller then a compote, or some would call it a nut/camdy dish.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Well, your first picture just showed up! Guess myh computer was being lazy…in any event, try to get a close up of the marks…the design looks German or Dutch to me.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Hello-

I finally got around to taking a picture of the hallmarks for this 12" diam cake stand. I have not been able to find these marks on line (even Dutch and German sites). Any more thoughts?

Regards,

Jessie

img4.imageshack.us/img4/2257/rszhallmarks.jpg