Winner's spoon hall marks

These are the markings on a silver spoon won by a Jack Jones (Uncle to my wife’s mother) of Willington running for County Durham about 1890. It looks to be dated 1884 ? Birmingham ? but what does the spoked ships wheel mean ?
spoon 1884 back and front.jpg
spoon 1884 hall mark.jpg

I don’t think that your spoon is either English/British or silver. That said I don’t know what it is. First the anchor is not a Birmingham mark - it is in completely the wrong shaped punch. There is no lion passant indicating sterling silver and neither is there any other sort of fineness indicator.

Thank you. That clarifies my lack of knowledge or understanding. The spoon’s value is the sentiment it holds not that it may be silver or more likely EP. Is there a definitive index for marks on EP silverware ?

I was curious that the anchor was on its side and in a waisted shield recess, suggestive of the Birmingham mark albeit there is no Lion to indicate silver. I remain interested about the spoked wheel in the triangular recess.

The folk who dished out this prize were likely to have been one of many Masonic lodges in and around Durham. Does that point to anything useful in as much Masonic lodges often had a slightly unusual preference for sourcing products ?

No, there is no definitive list/index of electroplaters’ marks. 2 sites which have fairly comprehensive, but incomplete, lists are www.silvercollection.it Neither show your mark.

Are you absolutely certain that this is the spoon which was won? Might it have got mixed up with another in the last 120 years? I ask because as I said earlier, I’m not convinced that it is British - mainly because of the use of the anchor.

I have checked back with the surviving relatives and assured it is “that spoon” but will leave it to others to authenticate its origins but thank you for your interest and help.

Regards

John Perreur-lloyd